Friday, June 16, 2017

Crown Review #50 - Angelfall

Angelfall - Susan Ee


Rating: 3/5 Stars
Series: Penryn & the End of Days, #1
Length: 283 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.
______________________________________________________________________

There's just something about this book where it makes me unsure how to review this book. Many years ago, I came across this book and and the synopsis just did not interest me much. It was not until this book became available through a sale that I decided to give it a chance because something caught my attention after all. The apocalypse and angels? I never thought of that combination before. There was just something different the second time I came across it. 

I have never read a story where it involved an apocalypse and I just did not know what was I going into. It was interesting to read something new but I felt that I was not excited most of the time and I kind of expected some of the stuff to happen. There was moments I found shocking and that I had to keep reading about, but I always ran into a moment of bored times. 

The only part I enjoyed reading about was the angels. However, this was the part that it lacked depth in. In the story, the current information about angels were more than enough. The descriptions of what happened to the world, what the angels have done to the world, and what they are currently doing. There has been some shocking details and events that happened. 

Along with good parts about the angels, there was also the bad parts. In most of the story, I always felt that it was often repetitive. The streets kept being described. The land kept being described. Some of the history kept being described over and over again. Although the pieces were fairly spread out, it was still noticeable that some of the same pieces kept coming back over and over again.

Let's talk about the romance in this book. Just like the entire book, I have mixed feelings. I knew that the romance was needed to add more to the overall story. However, I just that there was no chemistry between the two characters. I just could not see the connection between them. You could say it was realistic was not instal-love, but in my opinion, it was not all there.

It seems like that book was a hit or a miss for most people while some people were in between. I guess I should say that I am one of those people that are in the between. If I could wish for one thing for this story, it would be everything had more added to. It seemed that some things lacked and I wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment