Saturday, March 4, 2017

Crown Review #32 - Star-Crossed

Star-Crossed - Barbara Dee


Rating: 5/5 Stars
Series: Standalone
Length: 288 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Thank You Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing and NetGalley for giving an eARC for an honest review. 

Synopsis:
Mattie is chosen to play Romeo opposite her crush in the eighth grade production of Shakespeare’s most beloved play in this Romeo and Juliet inspired novel from the author of Truth or Dare.

Mattie, a star student and passionate reader, is delighted when her English teacher announces the eighth grade will be staging Romeo and Juliet. And she is even more excited when, after a series of events, she finds herself playing Romeo, opposite Gemma Braithwaite’s Juliet. Gemma, the new girl at school, is brilliant, pretty, outgoing—and, if all that wasn’t enough: British.

As the cast prepares for opening night, Mattie finds herself growing increasingly attracted to Gemma and confused, since, just days before, she had found herself crushing on a boy named Elijah. Is it possible to have a crush on both boys AND girls? If that wasn’t enough to deal with, things backstage at the production are starting to rival any Shakespearean drama! In this sweet and funny look at the complicated nature of middle school romance, Mattie learns how to be the lead player in her own life.
______________________________________________________________________

I remember when I came across a post about this very book on Tumblr. Normally, I kept scrolling, but something caught my attention. It was the fact there was two girls on the cover dancing looking like Romeo & Juliet. I am not a major Shakespeare fan, but I definitely noticed it and read the post. The post was written by a daughter who came out to her mother, and her mother ended up writing a book, this book, in return. I was impressed as this was like the ultimate support someone could get. I reblogged the post immediately along with hundreds of others to get the word out. Next thing I knew, I found and was approved of the book on NetGalley. I couldn't wait to read about this amazing book I've heard.

Amazing is like the perfect word. Beyond amazing. As I read the story, I couldn't feel anything but happiness. Of course the main character faced challenges, but everything good that happened just resulted in happiness.

When Mattie first met Gemma and she started questioning what was happening to her and why as this happening to her.  She tried figuring it out herself and dealing with herself, but she found that the only way she figure this out is through support of others. She talked to her friends and family, and support was all she got. This is how it should have gone, and I was glad to find it.

You also see Mattie deal with the everyday school life among students, frenemies, crushes, and ultimately, secrets. It was just a perfect book, and I just can't say anything wrong with it. Just perfect.

This book is definitely one for all ages, and for all kinds of love. Share it, recommend it, and love it. This book needs to be out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment