Saturday, June 3, 2017

Crown Review #48 - Frostbloood

Frostblood - Elly Blake


Rating: 2.5/5 Stars
Series: Frostblood Saga, #1
Length: 376 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Ruby is a Fireblood who has concealed her powers of heat and flame from the cruel Frostblood ruling class her entire life. But when her mother is killed trying to protect her, and rebel Frostbloods demand her help to overthrow their bloodthirsty king, she agrees to come out of hiding, desperate to have her revenge.

Despite her unpredictable abilities, Ruby trains with the rebels and the infuriating—yet irresistible—Arcus, who seems to think of her as nothing more than a weapon. But before they can take action, Ruby is captured and forced to compete in the king’s tournaments that pit Fireblood prisoners against Frostblood champions. Now she has only one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who has taken everything from her—and from the icy young man she has come to love.
 
______________________________________________________________________

Before I begin, I have to say that I am not sure where I stand with this book. I liked it and I didn't like it. I was very mixed. I was not sure on how to rate the book, but I knew I was very 50/50 with the book. Therefore, I give this book a rating of 2.5 Stars, exactly half of 5 stars. 

I was first shocked when I got my hands on this book a lot sooner than I expected. This book was first published earlier this year only in January and it quickly went on sale within the next 2 months. This usually never happens, or at least for me. I was afraid that a quick sale didn't mean something good for the book but I still quickly grabbed it. 

Before the book was published, I knew what I was getting into. I have seen some of the reviews. Reviewers have said that they have seen this book before and it was nothing knew. I understood where they were coming from because I saw that just in the synopsis. However, I have never read a Frost verses Fire battle before and that is what kept me interested in this book. 

I enjoyed reading about the differences between Firebloods and Frostbloods and their origins. I liked the main character and some of the minor characters. I just did not like the main relationship between Ruby and Arcus. I felt like it was predictable. They were complete opposites. Frost and Fire. I knew and saw that relationship coming. Reading it was very complicated as well. I saw that Ruby liked Arcus, but Arcus kept having a love and hate relationship with her. He kept saying that he could have left Ruby to die, but would miss her if she ever left. I often wondered if Arcus knew what was coming out of his mouth. Their relationship was nothing new and almost instal-love. I was just happy that there wasn't a love triangle.

There was often scenes that also did not make sense as well and there were times that I often stopped reading wondering where I was because stuff was just coming out of nowhere and it felt like there was sudden jump in the story. These jumps made it confusing and made certain details unclear.

Although this was different story, the aspects of it was similar. The theme of revenge, powers, politics. It was all the same. I wanted to give it a chance because I saw there was piece of something new. However, everything behind the new piece was pieces of the same old that we've seen before. If you haven't read much of these types before, you may enjoy this book. If you read some amount of these, you may find yourself reading a similar story and may not feel like your reading something new. Personally, I was in the middle. I found the newness in it, but I also saw an old story in it and I could not leave the middle line between old and new.

No comments:

Post a Comment