Saturday, February 18, 2017

Crown Review #30 - The Bone Witch

The Bone Witch - Rin Chupeco


Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Series: The Bone Witch, #1
Length: 400 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Thank You SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley for giving an eARC for an honest review.

Synopsis:
When Tea accidentally resurrects her brother from the dead, she learns she is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy means that she’s a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community. But Tea finds solace and guidance with an older, wiser bone witch, who takes Tea and her brother to another land for training.

In her new home, Tea puts all her energy into becoming an asha — one who can wield elemental magic. But dark forces are approaching quickly, and in the face of danger, Tea will have to overcome her obstacles…and make a powerful choice.
____________________________________________________________________________

Right off the back, this is going to be on the best reads for this year.

In "The Bone Witch," a young girl named Tea accidentally brings her dead brother back to life. Once discovered, she is taken in by another Asha who can help control her abilities.

I remember when I first came across this, I thought this was going to be an excellent book. However, something in the back of my head wasn't sure. Over time, that little voice that told me it wasn't sure said go for it and I was really happy to get my hands on a copy.

I am an avid reader for stories about magic and witches and all of the sorts. This story wasn't just about ordinary witches, it was about a witch that could raise and control the dead. This was different already and I was eager to read more about it.

The first part I loved was the two very different POV's that were introduced. One was the main character Tea as she goes through her journey of raising her dead brother and learning to be a Bone Witch. The second is of a bard who meets her and recalls his story between the two. Normally, different POV's would continue the same story, but these POV's were at different times as the Bard's telling was after Tea's original beginning. What got me into the story was how the Bard kept coming in. The mood was extremely different than Tea's mood and you can tell that something certainly happened with Tea over time. It made me want to know what happened. It also proved to answer some questions that I had while reading Tea's POV. If it wasn't for the Bard, I would have so many questions. Including the Bard was a genius addition to the story. Very well done.

Another part that I truly liked and believed that was incredibly unique was the heartglass. In this world, the heartglasses usually stay the same color, but can change based on the mood the user is feeling. As for an example, red is happy, pink is romantic, and so on. If your heartglass is silver, it means that you can draw runes and become a fighter or an asha. Purple may have been a limited asha, but not an official asha of a sort.

One last thing that I enjoyed reading about was the character Likh. Likh is a boy who does not want to become fighter with magic. Instead, he would rather break tradition and do something else he wants. The fact that this was made into the story made me happy as it was not seen in most stories. Props for adding a unique character.

However, this is just one little thing that I would like to point out. There may be other readers who may struggle with some of the terms like asha, asha-ka, hua and more. I was one of them. Asha was easiest to learn that it was another term for witch. Other terms needed a little bit more reading to figure out what the words meant. This may be a problem with some readers as it may be confusing to some.

This series has so much potential that I will have to continue the series. I plan on buying the first book soon after it released. It's going to be one of the best series yet to come and for this years and the upcoming years. I definitely needs to recommend this book 

1 comment:

  1. I was debating about picking this book up, and your review has sealed the deal for me!

    ReplyDelete