Saturday, March 11, 2017

Crown Review #33 - Heartless

Heartless - Marissa Meyer


Rating: 5/5 Stars
Series: Standalone
Length: 453 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.



This was so fun to read. I know this is a retelling, but normally, I do not read anything that usually is  involved with a lot of romance. I can handle little romance, but when romance is like the main genre and/or the main driving force behind the story, I'm usually one to avoid it. Regardless of the romance, this book is one of the best reads I have done this year. I'm pretty sure that it is so high up there, not any other book is going to top it.  There's still 9 months left of the year, but I'm pretty certain that this will remain a top book. I even enjoyed this book more than Cinder and I am going to finish the series soon after. 

I do have to admit, I have never seen nor read any Alice in Wonderland stories or movies. However, I do know who the characters are, what Wonderland is and all that fun stuff. I had limited knowledge into this story and the Wonderland world, so I welcomed imagination and open creativity and I was not let down.

I loved seeing the world form and learning about the characters and the little history in it as well. I loved the baking aspect with all the treats and it made my hungry. Maybe I should try those macarons that everyone talked about? They sounded so delicious. 

I'd probably enjoyed the story way more than I should have, but that is probably due to the wonderful characters. I especially loved Cath, Jest, Mary Ann and had a "love to hate" type of vibe with the King of Hearts. Almost every opinion I had about him, Cath had the same thought. When things should have been done, something should have been done about it, not have a ball or a party. It made me question how the King even got the throne in the first place. However, for the sake of the story, he's perfect character to avoid and understand Cath's reasoning of questioning to marry him. 

The events that happened in the story were fun to read, other than those heart-tugging moments involving the relationships. As you advance in the story, you start connecting information and having theories on how you think it is going to end based on what you're learning and what you already know in Alice in Wonderland. It was fun to guess what was going to happen, and most of the time, something always unexpected happened. 

Finally, it was definitely interesting to see how the events in the story make a change in Cath's character into the Queen of Hearts we all know.

I can't wait to see what else Marissa Meyer has in store for future retellings. If this is to show how good they are going to be, they can only tell that each one is going to be better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment