Saturday, December 31, 2016

Crown Review #23 - The Blazing Star

The Blazing Star - Imani Josey


Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Series: Standalone
Length: 286 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Thank You Wise Ink Creative Publishing and NetGalley for giving an eARC for an honest review.

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Portia White is used to being overlooked—after all, her twin sister Alex is a literal genius.

But when Portia holds an Egyptian scarab beetle during history class, she takes center stage in a way she never expected: she faints. Upon waking, she is stronger, faster, and braver than before. And when she accidentally touches the scarab again?

She wakes up in ancient Egypt—her sister and an unwitting freshman in tow.

Great.

Mysterious and beautiful, Egypt is more than they could have ever imagined from their days in the classroom. History comes alive as the three teens realize that getting back to the present will be the most difficult thing they’ve ever done. Stalked by vicious monsters called Scorpions, every step in the right direction means a step closer to danger.

As Portia and the girls discover that they’re linked to the past by more than just chance, they have to decide what it truly means to be yourself, to love your sister, and to find your way home.
___________________________________________________________________________

When I came across this book from another reviewer and when I saw that this book was set in ancient Egypt, I was sold. I needed to have it. I was so happy when I finally got my hands on an eARC from the publisher and NetGalley, I read it as soon as I got it and it only took me two days to finish.

From what I can say, I thought this book was perfection and interesting. So why did I give it 3.5 stars? I'll explain why in just a little bit.

What I enjoyed the most where the diversity in the characters and the difference among them. Each character had it's own different part to the story and as the story progressed, each character added to the story. Although I would have wished some characters were more interesting and some, a bigger part of the story. There wasn't much of a background in some of the characters, but most still stood out on the own in their progression towards the end of the story.

Next, I enjoyed the plot. I know that time-travel is a common story to give, and ancient Egypt would be a common setting to go to in most stories. However, I felt that this was different. The setting should have been more specific at some points, but I was able to follow smoothly throughout the entire story as I could tell where everything was taking place.

However, in the beginning of the book, I felt like it was slow. It needed an introductory somewhere to begin with, but I believe the beginning could have been faster and more to the point. Throughout the entire story, I kept finding myself wanting for more. I wanted more action. The story kept pointing out that a war was coming, and I expected battles and thrilling scenes. It almost seems that I got nothing. There was a scene in the half way point and at the very end. It was catching my attention, but the ending seem to stopped suddenly in which didn't make sense to me at all. It made me think there is going to be a possible sequence, but I wasn't sure at the same time.

Overall, if you're looking for a quick and simple book with Egyptian stuff in it, this may be the book for you. It was a good quick read for me, but I felt there was definitely room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment