Saturday, December 3, 2016

Crown Review #21 - Snow Like Ashes

Snow Like Ashes - Sara Raasch


Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Series: Snow Like Ashes, #1
Length: 416 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
____________________________________________________________________________
I wasn't sure how to start this, except saying that I am so mixed about this story. The best way for me to sum it all up is saying that the idea of the story sounded so great, but executing it wasn't as great. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good either.

When I started this book, I was excited to see how this original idea was going to play out. I loved the idea of seasons as kingdoms and magic with each kingdom. I thought it was truly a good idea. However, the details of the story were just a little boring to me, until the very end.

At the beginning, I didn't how I felt, but it seemed it was a lot of info was being thrown at. I understand that it was used to set the history and all, even some if it weren't needed. I expected some story about a battle for a kingdom and little politics, however it was completely something else. 

A major part of the story involved the love triangle between the main protagonist, and two other characters. The only thing I could think was "Seriously? Does this really need to be in here?" The love triangle somehow played well into the story. I will admit that. However, I believed that the love triangle could be managed more. Every thought and decision was impacted by this. There wasn't really much any logical thinking towards any decision.

Throughout the entire the story, nothing was really grabbing my attention. Nothing got my attention, nothing wanted me to keep reading, nothing wasn't just telling me to continue. I needed something, but I never got that until the very end during the final battle.

This book may be good for most people and others. However, I may be one of the few that was just not interested in it as much as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment