Saturday, May 20, 2017

Crown Review #46 - This Savage Song

This Savage Song - Victoria Schwab


Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Series: Monsters of Verity, #1
Length: 427 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
There’s no such thing as safe.

Kate Harker wants to be as ruthless as her father. After five years and six boarding schools, she’s finally going home to prove that she can be.

August Flynn wants to be human. But he isn’t. He’s a monster, one that can steal souls with a song. He’s one of the three most powerful monsters in a city overrun with them. His own father’s secret weapon.

Their city is divided.

Their city is crumbling.

Kate and August are the only two who see both sides, the only two who could do something.

But how do you decide to be a hero or a villain when it’s hard to tell which is which?
______________________________________________________________________

“Corsai, Corsai, tooth and claw,
Shadow and bone will eat you raw.
Malchai, Malchai, sharp and sly,
Smile and bite and drink you dry.
“Sunai, Sunai, eyes like coal,
Sing you a song and steal your soul.”
This book was a very, easy read and quite enjoyable. I loved reading it as a matter of fact. However, I felt like it was quite generic and simple. There were scenes I liked and didn't like for a number of reasons, but most scenes felt like you knew it was going to happen and not much of it was surprising. I do, however, can say that one or two particular scenes that were surprising.

I loved the characters to. Each and every single character were different and you can tell. Their backstories were also given to help understand each character, but that was it. They were sort of introduced that way. Just who they are, and where they came from. The only characters that got more information was Kate and August. I just wished that the side characters got a little bit more depth into them.

One thing that I do have to praise about is the fact that this story has no romance in it. This is the first book in a long time that I have read that doesn't even have a mentioning of romance in it. It was nice for a change. However, there was times I found myself wondering what would the story be like if there was actually romance. Then I realized that it would be like a Romeo and Juliet scenario or something of the sort. I enjoyed it without the romance, but I couldn't help wondering. I could of swore I saw a couple of small hints, but no romance overall.

In short, this is a good and easy read. It was very enjoyable, but it could be better overall. It could be improved, but there is nothing really worth complaining about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment