Friday, April 21, 2017

Crown Review #40 - Scarlet

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer


Rating: 4/5 Stars
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #2
Length: 452 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother, or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana.







I know it has been a while since I have read the first book, Cinder. While I did get the rest of the series as a gift during the Holidays, I was not able to pick up the series until March. I thought I would have a little trouble since it has been months between each book since I read the first book and I was afraid I would be forgetting some crucial information. 

However, I realized that I did not have that problem. As the story progressed, the crucial details were pointed out and for that,  I was able to read it much easier than I thought. In the end, I loved Scarlet way more than Cinder. 

I was not sure exactly what happened, but for some reason I was more interested in Scarlet's story than I was to Cinder's. I thought it was due to that Scarlet was a new character introduced and a new POV for the series. I have already read from Cinder's view, so perhaps there was not much of a difference for me for Cinder.

Scarlet's story was something new and I enjoyed reading her POV more. I also loved the creative take on the characters and how they were integrated into this world. One of the most creative take I thought was Wolf. Instead of an animal, Wolf is a human (that can look like a wolf I guess). The Lunar Gift also takes a role in Scarlet's story in similarity to Red Riding Hood. I loved picking out the similarities between the two. The Author definitely has a way to weave many stories into one gentle flowing story and universe.

I would have never guessed, but I was shocked at how the characters are connected. You might think, Well, they run into each somehow and decide to join forces. True, but I meant how. I am talking about what happened in their histories that lead them up to meeting. It has been years in the making for them to meet and by some chance to. 

It is no wonder why this series is very enjoyable. It's interesting, fun, and amazing. There's no such thing as a bad comment for this book, even the series itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment