Saturday, January 21, 2017

Crown Review #26 - Curse of Stars

Curse of Stars - Donna Compositor


Rating: 2/5 Stars
Series: Diamond Crier, #1
Length: 316 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon]

Thank You Xpresso Book Tours and NetGalley for giving an eARC for an honest review.

Synopsis:
Sabi Perez is the last Diamond Crier, only she doesn’t know it. Not until a crazed ruler from another world comes to collect her priceless tears and won’t take no for an answer.

Living in New York, Sabi’s seen some nasty things, but the lengths to which her captor will go to keep his crown are things found only in the darkest nightmares. Afraid and alone, Sabi finds solace in her cellmate, Anya, and Cabal, a fellow Crier who also has powers, a rare combination that buys his favor from the ruler. Only it’s a favor he doesn’t want.

In a fit of rage, power erupts out of Sabi, the same power Cabal has, and a spark of hope ignites. Together they may have a chance at escape, something no other Crier has done. Except a ruler hellbent on draining them of every last diamond tear isn’t their only hurdle. If they escape they’ll be hunted to the ends of the earth, if they survive the trek to safety. If they stay the ruler will leech them dry. Sabi would rather die trying than lie down and die, even if that means running away into even more danger.
______________________________________________________________________

In "Curse of Stars," the main protagonist Sabi discovers she is a Diamond Crier when she is captured by an otherworldly ruler and is forced into knowing an entire new world.

I really hate giving this a rating of two stars, I really do. I thought it had so much potential to be a good series, but I think it was just me. The beginning was really good going into, but once the ruler met with the main protagonist, I felt that I lose it all. There was no information be given. All I can remember is that Sabi asking the ruler what he wants and the ruler keeps replying that he wanted his property. When Sabi asked her father what a "Diamond Crier" is after her father reveals who she is? No information is given except Sabi looking at her own tear. When Sabi is thrown into the new world? All she gets is the name of the place. Up until the 50% mark, it was just Sabi trying to find her way through and dealing with her captivity and not much background information seemed to appear. It kept wondering what everything was. It would have been nice to know a little bit of information to understand the story better.

Right before the 50% mark, I was questioning if I really wanted to continue. However this was the starting point when it finally started giving information and started getting interested. It must of have been me, because that interest dwindled fast on me. For the next 10%, it was good and mythology was introduced and I am a sucker for mythology. I thought this was really going to start being good to the end. After this part, I don't know what happened except that I kept questioning what the heck was going on. Some bits I understood, some bits I got lost in. 

There was one scene I did not enjoy. I am not going to go into details, but all I can say is that the ruler almost forced Sabi into something she didn't want to do with no choice and no permission. This scene was to prove a point a special use of Sabi's special powers to the ruler, but I felt that there was definitely another way to show this. I just couldn't believe what I was reading.

Overall, I believe this series has potential for others, but it just wasn't for me. I really wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't find myself to enjoy it. I really hope others do enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment