Sunday, November 13, 2016

Crown Review #18 - The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken


Rating: 3/5 Stars
Series: The Darkest Minds, #1
Length: 488 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.
______________________________________________________________________

I remember that I came across this book so many years ago wanting to get my hands on it immediately. However, the book never made my way until a couple of months ago and I finally started it earlier last month. I remembered something about powers with the mind, namely telekinesis. If you seen one of my reviews before, you would know that any power with the mind or telekinesis would grab my attention immediately. I just love the power. However, apparently a few years can change what you think about a book.

All I remembered was the telekinesis was a main power of the story and I was completely lost when I started. Telekinesis wasn't the main power of the story, another mind power was. A specific Psi ability the girl named Ruby had. It took me a couple of times to finally understand that I was thinking something else. Telekinesis was still involved, but not as much as I thought it would be. The ability Ruby had was still interesting to read about.

I also expected some more action or something. There was still some action in the book, but for what this book was about, it seemed like nothing happened. It was basically a group of teens with Ruby on the road to a safe haven where they can be finally safe and get some help.

Just like all road trips, it was long. Unlike a road trip, the slowness of it was a little annoying. The paste was just slow and there were plenty of times where I wished something would just happen so the paste can just  pick up and take off into something good. The story slowly progressed and many parts did seem like they were predictable.

Even in the beginning, there seemed to be a lot of characters just thrown in from everywhere. The only character I could keep track was Ruby and for everyone else, I kept getting confused on who they were. I often kept switching characters with one another. Towards the middle, the sudden amount of new characters slowed down to where I could keep track of them all.

Finally, at the end, I started wondering if I was actually going to continue this series. There was just one line where it convinced me to read the next book in the series, but I am not promising that I will read beyond the second book. There is something that I want to see if it happened or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment