Sunday, October 30, 2016

Crown Review #8 - Pulse

Pulse - Patrick Carman


Rating: 4/5 Stars
Series: Pulse, #1
Length: 371 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
In the year 2051, who has a pulse?

With the help of her mysterious classmate Dylan Gilmore, Faith Daniels discovers that she can move objects with her mind. This telekinetic ability is called a “pulse,” and Dylan has the talent, too.

In riveting action scenes, Faith demonstrates her ability to use her pulse against a group of telekinesis masters who are so powerful they can flatten their enemies by uprooting streetlights, throwing boulders, and changing the course of a hurtling hammer so that it becomes a deadly weapon. But even with her unusual talent, the mind--and the heart--can be difficult to control. If Faith wants to join forces with Dylan and save the world, she’ll have to harness the power of both.

Patrick Carman’s Pulse trilogy is a stunning and epic triumph about the power of the mind--and of love.
______________________________________________________________________

If you know me, I am a major telekinesis geek and anything related to that instantly grabs my attention. When I saw the summary of this story, I immediately threw it into my "to be read" list without a second thought. I knew it was going to be a good read, and I knew I was going to be right about it. (Guess what, I was!)

Having a "Pulse" was a creative take in describing or calling a super-power, or just the telekinetic abilities. Reading about the pulse, was better than reading someone saying "you have telekinesis." Reading it as a "pulse" was like reading something new and different. 

Before I began to review this book, I looked at previous reviews by others to see what others said this book. I was sort of surprised where most people believed that this wasn't even a good point. So I decided to take some of their points that I agreed or disagreed with. 

"Pulse is full of action" was the first point I came across. Here, I agreed with the person saying there was not much of it. I wished that there was more action through out the book. At first, I let it slide due to my thoughts saying the story is only building, the action will come through towards the middle. When I got through the middle, not much was happening, except doing little movements and stuff. It was finally getting somewhere, but it missed a level. It wasn't until the complete ending the action fully picked up and was worth reading. The progress of the actions was nice overall, but it could have used more actions, and overall, could've been wrote in at a somewhat faster pace. 

Hawk as a character was another point I've came across. I've seen many pointing out that he was a completely useless character. I believe otherwise. If it was just Faith and Liz, and Wade and Dylan, I would have thought the story would be like almost all other books, and possibly boring. Hawk offered a different setting to the book, he added something to make it different. Others that he wasn't needed at all, but trust me when I say, as part of the story, he was and is a needed character. I don't think I could have seen it any other way. 

I have seen others commenting on the romance and how there wasn't even much about. To a point, I have to agree on this. I know it was stated in the summary, that it should have been expected. It was in the story, the plot, but I just think people expected to much of the romance. I believe the amount of romance was just the right amount. Any less, it would have been to weird. Any more, it would have been to much and distracting away from the story. In this kind of story, I do not think the romance should have been a major plot. Of course it was a part, but it was just not a big part of it. The big part was the Pulse and how to deal with it, not the romance. 

This was one of the best, simplest book I have read. I think people have expected to much in the story and set high bars before reading it, and in return for that, they did not enjoy the book as much. I have read this book with an open-mind, excited to see how the topic of telekinesis would be used. In return for that, I really enjoyed this book. Keep an open mind, and enjoy the book. After all, telekinesis is about using the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment