Sunday, October 30, 2016

Crown Review #5 - The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey


Rating: 4/5 Stars
Series: The 5th Wave, #1
Length: 457 Pages
Purchase: [Amazon] | [Barnes & Noble]

Synopsis:
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

I had hard time giving this book a rating. I felt 3 Stars was to low, and 3.5 stars didn't even make sense to me. I have come to conclusion that this book probably deserves 4 stars rather than a 5 stars.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoyed this book. At first, every time I came across this book, I would just move on. It just appeared to me that it was just some another alien book or something and I figured I would not just enjoy it. It wasn't until one day, I was asked to pick-up books I wanted for Christmas. I noticed this book was on sale, so I said why not and threw it into my gifts pile. I know it has been months since Christmas (but that happens when you have an entire pile of books to read), and I have finally finished reading it.

At first, I thought the book and the storyline was extremely slow. Everything appeared to be dragging on. However I realized that that a lot of stuff has happened before the book even started. (There was like 3 other waves that happened and 4th wave was near ending. Yea, A LOT has happened.) Once I realized that, I decided that the dragging part, made sense. If the book did not have it, I don't think the story would have not make sense at all. Towards the end of the third quarter of the book and all the way to the end of the book, everything was picked up and gone into a quick, steady pace. This is what made the book even better than I originally thought off.

There was another part that I enjoyed. Throughout there was different perspectives of what was going on. It was mainly told through two different characters, but on an occasion, another perspective would be added. It gave depth to the situation and seeing the situation in a different way than seeing in the same perspective from the two main characters. 

Overall, I went from totally ignoring this book to totally enjoying this book. I can see why everyone already enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment